Thursday, February 19, 2009

What's 'REAL' to you?

Depression is become rampant in our society. With all this economy crap going on plus all the unfulfilling messages that advertisements are pushing on us, we just don’t really have a lot of self-confidence left in us.

Or do we?

I used to be clinically depressed during my latter college days but instead of give you that whole story here I’d like to tell you what I’ve learned from that experience and what I continue to learn today.

I have clients who are depressed and there’s hardly a day that goes by where I don’t get an email from somebody who’s extremely depressed about their physical body and/or overall circumstances.

This is why I decided today to email you about a very deep subject (too deep to cover in one email), and give you my perspective on what helped me ‘get out’ and ‘get in’ to a world where anything is possible. A world that can be yours, as well.

To me, it’s all about REALITY.

What’s REAL to you?

When I was depressed, the only way to have fun and make friends was to go out and get drunk was ‘real’ to me.

Not being able to satisfy my family with my baseball career was ‘real’ to me.

Thinking that the world was a never ending struggle and all it will do is take my dreams away from me was ‘real’ to me.

Believing that the only way I could make it through a baseball game was to take a couple Vioxx pills (yes, the one they took off counters a few years ago because of the dangers of it) was ‘real’ to me.

What’s ‘REAL’ to you?

Is your health being impossible to conquer ‘real’ to you?

Is it just not happening that you can’t go out one weekend without drinking?

Is having absolutely no time to exercise ‘real’ to you?

Is being the person everybody stares at when you go to the gym ‘real’ to you?

One big thing I know about all this is that your surroundings play an amazingly HUGE role in determining how you think and what you do.

If most of your friend’s party on the weekend, then it wouldn’t be hard to figure out what you’re doing, would it.

If your family grew up feeding you KFC as your protein source then it wouldn’t shock me that KFC is still apart of your life.

Why do you do things that are bad for you, even if you know that they are bad for you?

I think it’s because you BELIEVE them to be the truth about you and they’ve brought you the COMFORT of your current situation.

And just because you’re comfortable doesn’t mean that you’re happy and loving life. Usually being comfortable is what makes life monotonous, boring, and unhappy which brings along depressed feelings and a negative attitude that your world sucks.

I know I’m going to have a lot more to talk about this subject so I won’t make this a marathon email.

I want to hear your thoughts, as well on this subject so email them to me.

What I wanted to get across today though was that YOU have FULL control on what goes into your head and what you believe to be ‘REAL’.


Everything around you has an effect on what you actually believe to be ‘real’. It’s up to you to decide if those things about actually ‘real’ and what you’re going to do to make your life the best life that you can possibly imagine.

Keep ROCKIN’ IT!

Dan Grant
The Vitality Coach

PS – we had a website crash last week, so the site is slowly getting back up, so if you go there and it’s all ‘crazy’ looking that’s why.

PPS – I want to hear your thoughts on this last email. Just click the reply button and let me know.

No comments: